Pages

Sunday 23 October 2011

A pie for all seasons...

One rainy Saturday afternoon I treated myself to the new Pieminister book. I've visited the Pieminister shop in St. Nicholas market in Bristol many times and always loved their array of pies. 

Available from here
My first impressions of the book were very good. Lots of lovely pictures, varied sweet and savory recipes and lots hints and tips.

After a good perusal, I made the "Deerstalker Pie" last weekend for friends. This is a venison based pie with celeriac, puy lentils and sausage on a shortcrust base and topped with suet pastry. I decided to cook the venison filling overnight in the slow cooker which worked really well and made sure the meat and veggies melted in the mouth. Then on the Sunday, I made the two types of pastry and assembled the individual pies.


Deerstalker Pie Recipe
The recipe was very easy to follow, produced generous portions (I hate stingy recipes!) and they went down a storm. I served the pies with minted mushy peas, mustard mash, cider soaked spicy red cabbage, roasted carrots and gravy. Yum.

My version
A successful first venture into the world of Pieminister. I'm looking forward to trying more! And, the added bonus of this new addition to the bakery book collection..?

#1. Brownie points from the Cake Pimp (who is originally from Bristol) for making his favourite pies.
#2. Cider. A West Country cider recipe to be exact. Blummin' genius.

Cider Recipe. Genius
Is it wrong to want pie and cider for every meal?!

V x

1 comment:

  1. Hello! I am making this tomorrow, can I ask whether you remember if you had to soak your lentils first? I am shopping online for Puy Lentils, and some of them are dried and some marked 'ready to eat'.

    ReplyDelete